Friday, October 26, 2012

There are other holidays??

So today was my very first Eid. In case you didn't know, it's a Muslim holiday where every family sacrifices a sheep to commemorate the day when Abraham sacrificed a sheep in lieu of his son Isaac.
So I got to see the slaughtering of 2 sheep. It actually wasn't as disturbing as I thought it'd be...or maybe I just tried to block it from my memory. Anyway, the most disturbing part was watching my host siblings and cousins go through the body parts and clean them. And I'm pretty sure my host dad ate the testicles for dinner tonight. There are currently 2 sheep bodies hanging in my kitchen. But the meat itself is very good. It has a unique texture and a fairly mild taste.
It's just a very different culture though.

Before I came to Morocco, I didn't know a lot about Islam. And I still don't, but I do know that they are very devoted to their religion. For them, religion isn't a personal choice or belief-it's a lifestyle. And I respect that a lot. For a lot of people in the United States, I feel like they can act so religious-by going to church nearly every week, posting Bible statuses on Facebook, whatever, but when you get to know the heart of their personality and actions, well sometimes it doesn't seem to match up with their beliefs. But here, people actually act in accordance to their religion and it's refreshing for a change. Or maybe I just have that illusion here, I don't know, but that's just how to seems to me. I guess I just got kind of deep, but religion can be a very confusing thing. But here it doesn't seem that confusing. That's also due to the history of Morocco and how closely knit politics and religion are though. I mean, I'm not going to convert to Islam or anything, but I just find it amusing how it's primarily characterized by its extremities when in reality the great, great majority of its followers are a thousand times more devoted to their religion than most Christians are, and are nothing like how the media portrays them to be.

Alright, I'm done with that rant. Anyway, tomorrow is Spain, and I couldn't be more excited! It will be a more than welcomed break from Africa. And Tuesday is Paris-a city I've been dreaming of since I first started studying French.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment