Saturday, November 17, 2012

Less than a month left

So it's pretty crazy.
I have less than a month left in Morocco. It feels like just yesterday I was talking to Rachel, guessing what life would be like in Morocco, wondering how I'd change, what I would experience, and how overall, it was only a tiny slice of time out of my life.
And now it's almost over.

It's weird. I can barely remember what everyday life is like in America. So I know that I probably won't remember most of what Morocco is like after a month back in the good ole USA. But I guess that's not what's truly important. I think what's most important is that I got out of America and was able to realize just how made we have it there. A lot of people complain about America, about politics especially as of lately, how it's crumbling...but honestly that's not true at all. America has everything you'd ever need and more. I think we live such a comfortable life in America that it blinds us to the reality of the rest of the world and makes us focus on problems that well, aren't really problems in the grand scheme of everything else. I hope that I remember that I should never take anything for granted in America. Because that's the most important part of the living abroad experience in my opinion.

Anyway though, now that all of the trips and traveling part of my program are over, I've been able to establish more of a routine in Rabat. It's been interesting figuring out what to do during the weekends here, since there are limited options. Usually I go out to eat with my friends, we walk around the old medina, maybe go shopping, and find a place to hang out. I've been trying to go to the beach more even though it's too cold to lay out or go swimming without a wetsuit just because it's so beautiful and something I'll definitely miss a lot. I used to complain about being bored in America a lot, but now I have a different take on being bored. Walking is a great cure to boredom. I used to hate walking, I never really saw the point of it, but now I've realized how much fun it can be to just walk around with friends, talk, and people watch. Simple solutions.

The other day I was at a hanut (it's basically a hole in the wall convenience store, they're everywhere in the old medina) and there was a worker standing outside stirring around some seeds in a pot that was above a fire. I was curious as to what the seeds were called, so I pointed to them and looked at the worker and said, "Shnu smytk?" which in Darija means, "What's your name?" and can be only be directed to people. So basically I butcher Darija on a daily basis and it's a huge joke. But it's all pretty funny. It's going to be weird not speaking 3 languages every day, well in my case, attempting to and usually failing. But hey, at least I try!

I tried posting pictures of my trip to Spain and France but I can't figure it out anymore. So I'll keep trying to, otherwise I'll just post stuff on Facebook.

Miss you all in America, less than a month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment