Monday, September 24, 2012

Weekend adventures

So unfortunately I don't have any pictures to post this time.
    However, I do have a few somewhat entertaining stories. This was my second weekend staying in Rabat, and my friends and I are [slowly] starting to gain a sense of direction and overall gist for Rabat. I spend the weekends here just a little bit differently than I do in New Orleans. On Friday night, I went with a few friends to Agdal. It's just across the river from Rabat, about a 5-10 minute tram ride. We walked around for a bit in desperate search of a place to eat, and ended up eating at this "pizzeria". By "pizzeria" I mean I ordered a margarita pizza and was served literally cheese on very thin bread. On the tram ride back, we passed...Pizza Hut.
   The next day, I went ocean kayaking. The hardest part wasn't the actual kayaking, but lugging the kayaks from the ocean to the kayak place. In the end, a local Moroccan saw us struggling and stopping literally every 5 yards for a break and ending up basically bringing all of our kayaks back for us. Then we went to Marjane, basically the Moroccan Walmart. My grand purchase was a fan. If you didn't already know, all of the Lyons are basically addicted to a fan during the nighttime. I'll just say that I honestly haven't slept better since Saturday. It also helps drown out the call of prayer a little bit and the Alzheimer's guy. But just a little bit.
    On Sunday I was just walking around the medina with a friend when some random Moroccan guy comes up to me. He first introduces himself, then asks if we can stay in contact. I told him I wasn't sure (classic, I need to just be more affirmative), and then he replied, "This is life. It's just starting now. It's how these things happen." Then I just told him I wasn't interested, sorry. Moroccans are pretty different than Americans...I think most of them meet their significant other randomly on the street or via Facebook. Either way, it's just taken a little bit to get used to their assertiveness. It's not a bad thing, it's just very, very different than how it [usually] is in America.
    But this weekend we are going to the Sahara desert! That includes a sunset camel ride and apparently nice hotels. I'm pretty excited and I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures.

Until then, I am very envious of y'all in America. At night I dream and dream of food...specifically fried chicken, mac & cheese, Chinese food, and McDonald's flurries. So healthy. As usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment