Tuesday, September 18, 2012

weekend beach trip & rabat

 The first camel that I've seen here! On Saturday I went to a beach town called Kenitra. Apparently the beach itself is called Mehdia. It was only a couple of cab rides and a train ride away from Rabat. A "friendly" local helped me and a friend find beach towels, and then stormed off when we didn't want to buy a "parasol", which ended up being an umbrella. I thought he was asking us if we wanted to go parasailing. Hahaha.


 A view of the beach from the restaurant we ate at. We had a delicious meal of shrimp & avocado salad, seafood pasta, paella, and wine (the drinking age is 18 here!), for only like $10 each. I love the dirham to dollar ratio.

 It might not be the cleanest beach, but it's a beach nonetheless.


 On Sunday my family asked me to join them out, and when I asked where we were going, my host mom hesitated for a second and said, "La foret!" I think we have a bit different perceptions on what a forest is. I would say it was more of a park. But for Moroccans, this is probably their idea of a forest.

 The forestry here is so different, but beautiful.

 Artwork outside of the La Bibliothèque nationale du Royaume du Maroc (essentially the National Library of Morocco).
 The entrance to the library. It's very spacious and state-of-the-art inside. It definitely gives Howie-T (Tulane's library) a run for its money.

 Gardens outside of the library.

 Still the library.
 An art exhibit outside of the library...I guess the library's kind of a big deal.

The road that my house is on. The yellow archway leads to a mosque.

So all in all, I am getting quite used to life in Rabat. It isn't so bad. I might gain thirty pounds after having cookie, cake, and khobz (bread) at daily afternoon tea [and a few cavities], but the food here is actually pretty good. For dinner we had fish...with all of the bones intact. My host family thinks it's weird that we eat our fish without the bones. I had to tell them finally that I just can't eat bananas right now for certain reasons...I think only my host mother understood that. Studying abroad really makes you learn a lot about your body. Anyway, that might be a bit too much.
I'll just end this with saying that I didn't really expect classes abroad to be quite so serious. But they sort of seem serious, which kind of sucks. But it's probably good for my brain. I guess you learns lots abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment